I own 7 Synthetic wigs made by René of Paris (btw, René of Paris is the manufacturer of Noriko, René of Paris and Amore).
I like how edgy the short hairstyles can look. I think it would be hard to get edgy styles like Rianna in Human Hair.
So the pros of synthetic hair:
- It is always ready to put on
- Frizz free
- Weather does not affect it
- Your hair looks tidy all day long
- No time wasted styling
- Low Maintenance
- They cost a lot less. You can get medical grade synthetic wigs for as low as $70.
Cons of Synthetic hair:
- It can look a bit too shiny especially in photos taken with flashes.
- Human hair does look more natural, not that people can tell you’re wearing a wig, but be ready for lots of compliments, and sometimes when you’re wearing a wig you just want to go by unnoticed.
- People tend to stare… I think it’s because the wig has a bit more shine or maybe because I chose bolder haircuts which wouldn’t be possible with human hair.
- They do last less time. The fibers in the nape especially tend to look frazzled after two and a half to three months time (wearing it all day long and removing it only to sleep).
- If you don’t get heat safe synthetic wigs you’re stuck with the style you got.
Now Human hair…
I own two lace wigs made out of human hair. They’re supposed to be “Malaysian” and I don’t care if they’re Malaysian, Indian, Chinese or European, I LIKE them! The hair is smooth and soft and it feels real, which I consider to be a GREAT plus.
Pros of Human Hair (HH):
- It looks 100% natural (ok, because it IS natural)
- The feel against your skin is really nice because it feels more real
- People REALLY can’t tell there is something “off” about your hair.
- You can style it with heat, braid it while it’s damp to get a nice wave, flat iron it, curl it… you name it, it can be done.
- You can moisturize it and take care of it, therefore it lasts a lot longer. I’ve heard some people use HH wigs for up to 7 years! That’s a long time!
- It is more expensive.
- It takes more time and energy to keep it looking good
- It is affected by the weather as it is natural hair
- It is a bit heavier than synthetic
I think chosing between HH and SH is a very personal choice.
I personally like to wear synthetics to work (so that I always look the same, and they are SO FAST to get on and ready it’s really nice to have those extra 10 minutes to sleep… lol)
I love my HH wigs but I wear them over the weekend or when I go out to some special event because then I have more time to get them ready, curled, straigthened or whatever.
I’m in love with Blush’s pony-tail wig… but she costs $999,00 way out of my price range at the moment.